Magnetic Particle Testing
INSPECTION AND TESTING METHODS
Magnetic particle testing consists in subjecting the area to be tested to the action of a continuous or alternative magnetic field. Possible defects create a leakage field at the surface of the component. This leakage field is made visible to the human eye using a very fine ferromagnetic powder sprayed onto the surface to be examined, where it is attracted at right angles to the defects by the magnetic forces. There are many magnetizing means and products (dry powder or particles suspended in a liquid) adapted to:
- The shape of the component.
- The orientation of the defect to be detected
- Easy to manually implement on site.
- Quasi-immediate results.
- Detection of non-emerging defects and of underlying defects.
- The method is rapid because of the immediate effects of magnetism.